Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Words, words, words

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen...Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice." Ephesians 4:29,31

Powerful words for me today. So often I'm aware of words I speak that, frankly, I wouldn't want my God to know I use. (Um, He does.)

On the golf course this morning, I struggled with fairway shots (someone, I'm sure, took all the good shots out of my bag)and found myself on several fairways smacking my 3-wood on the ground in frustration and saying "Go...". My rant went no further than the first two letters each time but I was so mindful of the example I want to set - and that isn't it.

Most of all, I think, is the notion that when I speak negatively I damage others as well as myself. When I berate myself for a bad shot or a bad meal or a bad moment as a parent/nana, when I attempt to denigrate others (usually to make me feel better, right?) the damage spreads far beyond my narrow little sphere. I want to change that behavior and create an environment in which people feel edified by me and valued for their unique gifts and contributions. That's my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment